Most higher-ed institutions have the need to manage agreements with other
institutions (i.e. exchange programs). This usually comes in the form of an Excel spreadsheet buried away in a shared network drive. Using SharePoint and Flow will go a long way in modernizing agreements management by surfacing content and adding value through automation. Recent enhancements to SharePoint Online make this process even easier.
Create Agreements Management team site:
- From the SharePoint home page, click Create site.
- Click Team site.
- Provide a Site name and Group email address. I am using “Agreements Management” and “Agreements” respectively. Click Next.
- Add additional owners and members as you see fit. Click Finish.
- Create new list. Click New > List.
- Provide a list Name. I am using “Agreements”. Click Create.
- Click Add column, select Single line of text.
- Enter “Description” for the Name and click Save.
- Repeat the previous steps to add the following columns:
|Name||Type||Format / Values|
|StartDate||Date and time||Include Time = No|
|EndDate||Date and time||Include Time = No|
|PartnerName||Choice||Allow ‘Fill-in’ choices = Yes|
|ContactFirstName||Single line of text|
|ContactLastName||Single line of text|
|ContactEmail||Single line of text|
|ContactPhone||Single line of text|
|Notes||Multiple lines of text|
- My finished list looks like this:
Use the Format this column feature with the “Status” column to indicate if an agreement has expired:
- Click column menu, Column Settings, Format this column.
- Select Fill background color and click Edit Template; set “If Status is Active” to green and “If status is Expired” to red; click Apply.
Use Flow to create a reminder email for soon to expire agreements:
- a. Click Flow, click Set a reminder and then select “EndDate”.
- Click Continue.
- Change the “days in advance” to 90 and click Create.
Here is my finished site:
I used the Quick links web part with the Button layout and Fill color to create the home page button.
The Agreement Management solution is simple by design and adds value by:
- Centralizing content in the Team Site
- Being online and accessible
- Mobile friendly
- Automating expiration reminders
- Allowing for more growth with further automation, view formatting, reporting through Power BI.
Thanks for stopping by.